Sunday, January 13, 2008

We're Going to Texas?

(Photo by way of the New York Times from the Texas State History Museum)

For the first time in our adult lives, Bob and I are thinking of going to Texas...voluntarily. Bob has been there before, for Air Force Basic Training, and I went to Houston once on a business trip, but these doesn't really count, now do they?

Yup, folks, we're going to Austin, that hot bed of live music of all types: rock, country, blues...and more. We anticipate soaking up the local culture to find out why people want to "Keep Austin Weird." Perhaps we'll even catch some of our musical favorites, everyone from Alejandro Escavedo, to Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson or the Dixie Chicks...who knows who we might run into? And we have our own personal guide to all things Austin: my internet pal "Tex." If ever there was a great advertisement for a city (or really an entire state of mind), it would be Tex. She's a little bit Cajun, a wee bit Southern, but Texan to the marrow of her bones. I'm looking forward to having her show us around the capital city and to let us see it through her eyes.

While we're in the neighborhood, we'll likely take the short drive to San Antonio - if you're that close to the Alamo, you have to visit it, right? The story of that famous siege has always been interesting to us and we have to see it for ourselves. We'll also take a drive through the Hill Country and find out what LBJ and Ladybird saw in it. Perhaps we'll even catch a bluebonnet or two, but we may not make it in time for peak blooming season.

I'm beginning to do a lot of reading about Austin and with everything I read I get more excited and sure that this is our kind of place. We're just a little weird, too. Not sure if I'm weird enough to buy some cowboy boots, but you never know.

By the way, "Tex" assures me that the Chimp isn't really a Texan, so there's no worries that I've turned into one of them. We have just one financial hurdle to cross before I sign us up for the trip. Keep your fingers crossed!

7 comments:

Tex said...

ya know my dad has been a fairly drudgery day...till you made me smile wider than the Rio Grande! :D

I am PSYCHED you want to see the Alamo! I was wanting to suggest it but thought ya would just scoff at it. I will tell you that our Bob Bullock Texas History Museum up near the Capitol is magnificant. And of course as much as I detest some of those in the building...our Capitol is Audacious! Im hoping there will still be some bluebonnets around. It'll be at the end of the blooming...we can hope. Course there is LadyBirds Wildflower Center in Austin :)

Once ya know for sure...let me know...so we can sychronize our Pirate Decoder Rings :)
Yyeeeeeeee HAwwwwwwwwwww!!!

HorshamScouse said...

I've no idea how far Crawford is from where you'll be but a detour to toss one over the Chimp Farm's fence would be appreciated.

Hope the trip comes off and you have a great time.

Tex said...

i pass through Crawford every time i head to my other city i work in...i have no clue where the ranch is located though...and Austin is about 2 hrs south of it...doubt Becks has any desire to head there.

beckperson said...

I don't believe Home Security will allow us anywhere near Crawford. Not that I wanted to go to that one-horse town anyway.

Keep fingers crossed that our tax bill isn't too high. That's the only hurdle left and we will be winging our way southwest in late April.

Tex, I signed up for some "First Thursday" newsletter and starting to get some emails that look interesting! So.Excited.

Jane said...

Becks, you're going to love Austin - it's a perfect storm of liberalism, creativity and tequila. Rob and I spent a long weekend there (before we knew Tex) and we were shocked to discover there's a place in Texas we could actually see ourselves living.

Make sure Tex brings you to Guero's and Stubbs. Oh, and Magnolia Cafe - but only at 2am and only if you order the gingerbread pancakes.

Ted D said...

Becks, what do you mean Tex is from Texas? Who knew?

I've been to the Alamo; you've got to go see it. And remember, Tex doesn't have her badge to get her out of trouble anymore.

So call if you need bail money. :)

beckperson said...

Well, believe it or not, there are some people in my "real" life who don't know her. Isn't that hard to believe? (LOL!)