Thursday, January 03, 2008

Forrest Gumpabee

For a long while, I've thought that Mike Huckabee reminded me of someone. Tonight, seeing him sit on the guest chair across from Jay Leno, it came to me: Forrest Gump. He looked so self-satisfied in a very child-like way. Clearly, this man is in over his head.

Here's an example. A few weeks ago, reporters asked him whether he had read the NIE on Iran. (Even I know that the NIE is a "National Intelligence Estimate".) Gumpabee said he was too busy to read such things. Yes, he seriously said this. Naturally, reporters were coming to the same conclusion on the man's capabilities, and good ol' Mike tried to extricate himself:

The whole perception was based on an ambush question on the NIE report,” Huckabee said in an interview Monday with the Quad-City Times. “From there, it was like, ‘Wow.’ That was released at 10 o’clock in the morning. At 5:30 in the afternoon, somebody says, ‘Have you read the report?’ Maybe I should’ve said, ‘Have you read the report?’ President Bush didn’t read it for four years; I don’t know why I should read it in four hours.”

His comment about President Bush appears to be a reference to allegations made by Bush’s critics that Bush didn’t pay close enough attention to intelligence reports, particularly in the early years of his presidency.

When asked to clarify, Huckabee said this:

“The point I’m trying to make is that, on the campaign trail, nobody’s going to be able, if they’ve been campaigning as hard as we have been, to keep up with every single thing, from what happened to Britney last night to who won ‘Dancing with the Stars.’ ”


In the serious times in which we live, who the #$#@!@! cares about the tabloid news or reality TV? Apparently, these topics are near and dear to this man's heart. Stupid is as stupid does.

Huckabee scares the livin' shit out of me.

3 comments:

Ted D said...

Becks did 4 posts on consecutive days?

::passes out::

Becks, there is a local paper down here and they had a column on the different candidates reactions to, forgive me I can't remember the spelling, but Mrs. Bhuto? being assasinated.

It floored me how un-presidential several of them sounded, including Huckabee, Clinton, Thompson, and Edwards. I don't think even I could have come up with a dumber response. I tried to find it online, but only found the website, www.rhinotimes.com

beckperson said...

Ted, I am really going to try to post more. Really. We'll see how long it lasts. Sometimes I think SG sucks all the creativity out of me sometimes because I spend so much time there.

I really do find it interesting to talk to a "Republican". I don't know many! :) And, believe it or not, knowing you're reading keeps me a bit more circumspect. Probably we'd be in better shape as a country if more people with political differences talked to each other more often, dont'cha think?

beckperson said...

And another thing, Ted...the candidates are so programmed, they haven't been able to say anything that hasn't been massaged by their advisors, making them sound insincere and "packaged" to many people. On the other hand, listening to Huckabee talk "off the cuff" about Britney makes me realize why the spin doctors are needed. :)