Friday, January 25, 2008

Memo to Bill: S.T.F.U.

OK, I'll say it as plainly as possible.

Bill Clinton needs to shut the fuck up.

Watching the state of the political discussion (if you'd like to call it that) this week, I've been incredibly disturbed by the former President's role in his wife's campaign and his need to be the center of attention. As I've said ad nauseum, I'm not interested in voting for Hillary, primarily because I think it's time to MOVE ON to new people with new ideas.

When he left the presidency, we all wondered how Bill was going to keep himself occupied. I hadn't thought of it before, but I am now wondering exactly WHY he befriended the Bush family and was frequently inserting himself into disaster relief efforts: the Asian tsunami; Hurricane Katrina, for example. Somehow he managed to get himself into the limelight, despite what we presume (hope?) were opposing views on the politics.

At the same time, he obviously was interested in Mrs. Clinton pursuing a political career - not only because she was good at it, but likely because it allowed him to continue to be a player. Now that she's running for president, Bill can't help but draw all the attention to himself.

I voted for Bill Clinton twice, and happily did so. I defended him during the impeachment days, and even found myself defending him in recent years - especially in conversations about the inevitable discussions of his and Hillary's marriage.

But, here's the point. Bill Clinton is addicted to attention. Unfortunately, Hillary is too ambitious to suggest they go home and live happily ever after. I think it says something about the two of them that they can't be content with for her just being a damn good senator from New York. Personally, I think it will not be good for the country to wallow in the Clintons' drama (and you KNOW there will be plenty of it) for the next 4 (or 8) years.

If Hillary wins the nomination, I'll vote for her in November, but I won't like it.

In the meantime, I hope Senator Obama figures out how to beat back both of the Clintons and snatch the nomination from their death grip.

3 comments:

Ted D said...

Becks, Bill has looked like a dink the past month or so. As you know, I wouldn't have voted for her anyway, but her attention seeking husband just makes it more clear.

I REALLY hope Obama can figure out a way to beat this two headed monster; because if she wins, there is no way I vote for her. I might even be tempted to vote for Huckabee, though it'd be close.

If Obama wins the nomination, I very well may vote Democrat for the first time in 20 years.

I've got to tell you; "meeting" you has opened my eyes a bit to the world of politics. And for that, I say thanks.

Making a new friend has been the icing on top of the cake.

HorshamScouse said...

Technically, i don't have a dog in this fight, but really everyone does what with you guys electing the leader of the free world and all.

I think Bill's in deflection mode right now, drawing fire away from Hillary.

If I actually had a vote and Obama was the candidate, I'd vote for him over any Republican but that would be reluctantly. I just don't think 2 and a bit years in the Senate is enough experience for the job.

Jane said...

Very well said, Becks. I find myself hoping that Bill's insertion of himself into Hillary's campaign ends up turning more people off - and toward Obama.

I have my fingers tightly crossed for Barack today. My father lives in South Carolina, so I've encouraged him to vote early and often.