Sunday, January 27, 2008

Uncle Teddy Gets It Right

Although some may think Ted Kennedy is a joke or as irrelevant as yesterday's newspaper, I'm fairly certain his endorsement of Barack Obama today says volumes. Along with his niece's endorsement yesterday, Teddy's seal of approval amounts to a "passing of the torch" to a new generation of leaders. This is clearly a hard-won endorsement and is coming for Obama at just the right time.

Can you imagine the phone calls between the Clintons and Kennedys over this endoresement? Billary has to be downright pissed right about now. Somehow you get the sense that they thought all Hillary had to do was declare her intent to run and everyone would just get out of the way. And it probably came as an enormous surprise that Teddy would actually not stay neutral in this fight.

According to "The Politico":

“This is the biggest Democratic endorsement Obama could possibly get short of Bill Clinton,” said a high-level Democrat.

The Clinton campaign launched a last-ditch effort over the last few days to stop Kennedy's move, orchestrating a flood of phone calls to Kennedy from sources ranging from union chiefs to his Massachusetts constituents.

The former president also called Kennedy in a vain attempt to keep him out of the race, a source familiar with the conversation said.

Since Bill has recently decided he wants to play hardball against Obama, how could he possibly expect that the other side wouldn't?

I certainly hope this brings more of my fellow Massachusetts voters to Obama a week from Tuesday when we have our primary. The polls I've read have shown Hillary with a substantial lead here (although I've yet to meet anyone who is voting for her). Perhaps this will turn the tide.

Thanks (again), Teddy!

2 comments:

Tex said...

"Billary" LOL!!! Thanks Teddy!!

Ted D said...

Becks, as you know from my emails, my given name isn't Ted. I'll thank you in advance for not sharing with the rest of the class.

According to my Mom, I got the nickname Teddy in part to a doctor in town, and in part to Senator Kennedy. When I was born he was still a young powerhouse and admired by many in the family.

Glad to see him back Obama. Between him and Kerry, this has got to be crawling all over Billary. And that makes me smile.