Tuesday, May 03, 2005

OK, It's Desert Island Time

As a middle-aged woman's fancy turns to springtime, we look for some new ways to get you lurkers out there involved in this very blog.

Here's the age-old scenario...you find yourself on a desert island with a malfunctioning iPod (or other newfangled) jukebox, but you have a supply of never-ending batteries. So, what 10 "albums" would you want to have available to you? Here's mine (in no particular order):

1. Blue, Joni Mitchell
2. The Grass is Blue, Dolly Parton
3. Diva, Annie Lennox
4. Rythmn of the Saints, Paul Simon
5. Lonely Runs Both Ways, Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. Red Dirt Girl, Emmylou Harris
7. Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, Lucinda Williams
8. Live in New York City, Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band
9. The Revolution Starts Now, Steve Earle
10.Bruised Orange, John Prine

Honorable Mentions (I know this is cheating, but how can you pass these classics up?):
Horses, Patti Smith
Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
Goin' Back to New Orleans, Dr John
Time (the Revelator), Gillian Welch
Moondance, Van Morrison
Any Miles Davis recordings -- I'm not enough of a jazz expert to choose one, but I suppose "Kind of Blue" would work, eh?

What is your list? Care to share?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's MY list:
Anything by:
KISS
Blue Oyster Cult
Gordan Lightfoot
Alanis Morisette (I'm still in love with the angry white female artists)
Berlioz, Chopin and Mozart (my token classical dudes)
Anyone with big hair
Grank Funk Railroad
Any album with the word "Boogie" on it

Okay, so maybe my taste in music sounds a bit shallow, but hey, it's how it makes you feel that counts!

beckperson said...

Thanks, Susan! I agree with you on the angry white female artists...hence Annie Lennox's "Diva" CD in my list. But I have to confess I don't have any KISS or Blue Oyster Cult anywhere in our 400+ CD collection. I must be missing something! (Or I'm just showing my age, which is more likely).