Monday, May 23, 2005

Time Flies

Thirty years since Patti Smith's album "Horses" was first issued. 30 years. That means it has been 30 years since I was in college. Yikes.

And it's nearly 30 years since a bunch of friends shared a house by Lake Metacomet in Belchertown -- and we had a male roommate who looked just like Patti Smith. His first name was Chris, but I'm having trouble remembering his last name. Yes, that means it has been 30 years! These are people I never expected to forget.

But back to Patti...I came across an article today saying that she will be performing the album "Horses" in its entirety (in sequence) at an upcoming festival in England. I have a feeling the concert I went to at the Orpheum in December 1976 probably would have been similar to this concert. Funny, this I remember.

Here's a great article, starting with the usual Patti adoration:

Patti Smith today looks as striking as the 28-year-old instant icon who defiantly out-stared the viewer from the cover of Horses. With her strong nose and thin, rangy frame, she's still androgynous, but her appearance, 30 years on, now has something of a 'ragged glory' aura.

But the article ends with pure Patti, and some of the best middle-aged musings I've heard in a while:

Of the Horses recreation, Smith says, 'I wanted to do it while I'm still physically able to execute it with full heart and voice. 'I had nicer hair back then, but my voice is actually stronger now! I'm 58 years old, but I haven't lost anything, 'cos I've learnt to take good care of myself. I want to be around a really long time. I want to be a thorn in the side of everything as long as possible.'

If you know Patti's music, you must read the article.


No comments: