Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The King...and Us


For reasons that even I don't recall, one of my nieces and I developed a "thing" for Elvis Presley when she was a kid. I truly have no idea exactly what started our mutual fetish, but for anyone who knows our family's wacky sense of humor, I think it might be kinda clear. So, to demonstrate our devotion to the King, Molly and I would give each other the tackiest, most off-beat Elvis memorabilia we could find - for birthdays or Christmas, or as souveniers from vacations we took over the years.

We even had our own Elvis sighting when she was about 9 or 10 years old at, of all places, a chili parlor (only Cincinnatians will know what that is). We spied, through the kitchen door, a dishwasher with very black sideburns, but never could get a good look at his face...which prompted my crazy girl to leave a note for him on our table, written in shredded cheese: "Are You Elvis?" We'll never know for certain, but for a bit of time (and over the years), we enjoyed the idea of meeting our hero.

But, should you be one of the "dis-believers" who think The King actually left us in 1977, I remind you that it has been 28 years since Elvis keeled over while supposedly taking a dump. So, let's take that as a reminder to be careful out there, folks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard I have tears running down my face !! I remember that day at the chili parlor like it was yesterday. What a nutty bunch we are !!

Anonymous said...

yes...it can be very scary taking a dump sometimes. But, as we all know the King was a rock star and you know that his last poo had to be a great one, after all kings do sit on throne's of high status. But about the sighting....I remember that day well. As I was sucking down a tasty coney smothered in delightful Cincy style Chili, I happend to remove my eyes from my plate for only a moment only to see the sight of something that would define my relationship with my Aunt forever....the sight of the KING!! That moment was the begining of something special we share to this day, a type of Kooky behavior that, like she had mentioned, only our strange family can relate to. I had finally joined the club that day! The club of insanity, and Ive been happier ever since! So to the King, I thank you and to my Aunt...may your days be filled with abundant amounts of Elvis crap that everyone will be jealous over!! We will share this common love of Elvis for more reasons than anyone will ever know. I luv you Beckperson.

beckperson said...

Har har...We just think we're REALLY funny, now don't we?

PS: I forgot to mention that our family also has a fetish for bodily functions too. (What? That's just me? Nah, couldn't be!)

Anonymous said...

Molly likes to touch the Rhino