Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Kumbaya!

Driving to my polling place at the Town Garage, I got a little misty-eyed over going in to vote for a choice between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. It occurred to me that this is a huge deal, and one that we should stop and take note. Maybe it's a good sign that not much has made, in large measure, to the fact that there is NO viable white man on the ballot for the Democrats.

But, I ask you to stop and think about that...drink it in:

THERE.IS.NO.WHITE.MAN.ON.THE.BALLOT.IN.THE.
DEMOCRATIC.PRESIDENTIAL.PRIMARY.


This is more than amazing. For younger voters, this probably doesn't seem all that unusual, I suppose. They've seen women and African Americans in every kind of role imaginable - in fact, so much that it's hardly even noteworthy. But, for those of us who experienced the women's and civil rights movements first-hand, I can attest that this is indeed a historic occasion.

These Kumbaya-like thoughts were rattling around in my brain when I arrived at my destination and saw a black man leaving the polling place. It was all I could do to keep myself from hugging him when we passed one another. Then, as I waited in line, an African American woman fell in line behind me. I wanted to turn and ask her who she was voting for, but I contained myself. As I awaited my turn to slip my vote into the collection slot, there was an Indian woman with two children. As the 5-year-old boy watched me check out, I was thankful that he would experience an entirely different kind of voting experience than people my age have.

So, who did I vote for? Well, you know that's a BIG secret.




PS: Lest someone assume I am totally a Pollyanna, on my drive home I also mused about who I would waterboard if I could choose any one person. I'll let you chew on that one for a while and add your own choices, if you so desire. :)


10 comments:

Ted D said...

Becks, it really is amazing there is NO sign of a white male in the race. Does Obama or Billary pick one as running mate to try to reach all quarters? To me, after the race itself, trying to figure out who each candidate would pick as a VP is pretty fascinating.

There have been some good ones (Bush for Reagan, Dole for Clinton), there have been some doozies. Mr. Quayle, anyone?

Tex said...

whitea man on a blalot/ no no no

im going torehab.

march cant veom vfatst ienough

HorshamScouse said...

They want her to go to rehab
But Tex says No, on, on.

Sorry state for Democrats that they could only muster Edwards and wotsisname to go against Hillary until Obama came along.

Jane said...

Who would you waterboard? Hmm. The Chimp's WAY! too easy, and I'm guessing so is Dick. I'll take Karl Rove.

Yesterday truly was historic, especially given the dead heat both candidates are engaged in. It's refreshing not only to have a woman and an African-American on the ballot - but also to have a race that likely won't be decided anytime soon. For once, the American people - not the political machine - are in charge.

Ted D said...

Oh yeah:

I'd waterboard ARod.

beckperson said...

::high fives Ted::

I hadn't thought of A-Rod, but I like the way you think, Ted!

:-)))

beckperson said...

For those of you who don't know my friend, Tex, she didn't have a stroke. You've just witnessed the results of her celebrating Mardi Gras.

"Laissez les bon temp rouler!"

Ted D said...

::high fives Beck back::

And if I could have a second choice? Posada.

Tex is a machine with a cast iron constitution.

Tex said...

Id waterboard Roger

Jane said...

I was about to post this on SG, then decided it wasn't worth hijacking an actual baseball discussion.

But my blood is boiling to the point that I had to share this with someone (or someones):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23037049

WTF is the countdown to the election again?