Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Debate?

Are there any differences between Senator Obama and Senator Clinton? Nah, very little when it comes to policy. They both want universal health care, tax breaks for the middle class, a sensible immigration policy, a more diplomatic foreign policy, ending the war in short order, etc. etc.

So when they debate, the two candidates spend an ridiculous amount of time saying: "I agree with Senator Clinton," and "I agree with Senator Obama." So what's the difference between them...because it sure ain't policy.

It's called style.

It's called change.

It's called not-Clinton.

Sorry, Hillary, but so long as the conversation stays in the "I agree with Senator Obama" space, you're going to lose the nomination. It's not that I want them to disagree, it's just that there's nothing she can do at this point to change the game.

And that makes me happy.

But, I really have to be sure that my support of Senator Obama does not denigrate Mrs. Clinton, who is a strong candidate, a thoughtful person, a brilliant Senator. If it wasn't for Senator Obama, there's a good chance I'd be rooting her on right about now. While I have strong feelings about President Clinton's role in the Senator's campaign and potential presidency, and I'm not a fan of dynastic politics, it is important that we not lose sight of her many contributions. And, I feel strongly that we NOT tear her down, while supporting Senator Obama.

Personally, I look forward to many long years of rooting Senator Clinton on - in the Senate.*




*I remember having a T-shirt back in college that said "A Woman's Place is in the House...and the Senate." In those days, having the possibility of a woman running for president and being taken seriously, was a mere pipedream. Or maybe it was the pipe I was smoking??

4 comments:

Ted D said...

Could have been the pipe, Becks.

I'll be honest and say I did not watch the debate. My shallow self watched LOST.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Obama wiped the floor with her.

::crosses fingers::

Redbeard76 said...

In perfect agreement as usual Becks. Preach it, sister.

However, Hillary I think came off more polished and rehearsed and ultimately robotic. I only watched the first half of it. I don't know how it's going to affect the Texas and Ohio poll since she seemed to mention the states fairly often (seems like a cheap tactic).

But she definitely seems to be a bit desperate like a cornered dog ready to bite; it looks like she's going to start pulling out all the stops. And I hope Obama is ready for it.

Tex said...

i think it was what was IN the pipe :)

Im hoping for the best in Texas. Both have a good following it appears...you know I'll be doing my part

beckperson said...

Stephen, I've been meaning to say thanks for stopping by! Sounds like we're cut from the same political cloth!