Thursday, February 07, 2008

Grandpa McCain Is The Nominee

Although McCain might be the very least objectionable GOoPer that could have been nominated this year, I can't imagine voting for anyone whose major claim to fame, seemingly, is that he enlisted as a foot soldier in the Reagan Revolution. Ask anyone under 35 what the hell that actually means and I bet you'd get a blank stare.

Frankly, voting for Grandpa McW is only going to give us another four years of Bush-iness, minus the waterboarding. Well, maybe that's enough for some people, but I would like to see the country attempt to do something a little more, shall we say, ambitious. Perhaps try to fix health care, try to fix our cities (New Orleans, anyone?), fix our schools, fix the WAR! And by fix it, I mean end that ridiculous fiasco. No, Grandpa McCain thinks it would be just fine to stay in Iraq for another hundred years. If I had young'ens in the house, I'd start worrying right here and right now.

I would dearly love to see either of the Democrats debate Pops McW. Imagine a vigorous, healthy, energetic Obama standing tall next to McW, who would look even more pale than he already does (sorry, I couldn't resist). Imagine Grandpa debating Hillary while she runs rings around him with facts and figures at her fingertips. After this week's Super Bowl, I guess we learned that there are no such things as sure bets in anything, but I certainly like our chances.

Unlike the conventional wisdom of the MSM punditry, I think having Hillary and Barack debate (so long as it's relatively polite) for another month is not necessarily a bad thing. Having them both talking the good talk, demonostrating their command of the issues could be a very positive development, while Grandpa goes around chasing the right wingers like that comedian, Rush Limbaugh, and scaring the shit out of everyone with his tough talk. Ahhhh, this is going to be fun!

And one final thing...why the hell do you not see Grandpa without his bodyguards Senators Lieberman and Graham? Is this a campaign or a buddy movie?

*image courtesy of NoMcW.com

4 comments:

Tex said...

McSTOP the Madness!!!

I think they're trying to make the DC version of Grumpy Old Men

Ted D said...

Becks, If Clinton wins the nomination, I'm voting McBush. But if Obama wins?

I think it was Sideburns who said he'd vote Democrat for the first time. I'm not going that far YET, but between you and me, I'd be leaning that way. Do you mind if over the weekend I email you about some questions and issues I've got about this? I really value your opinion on this.

beckperson said...

Ted, you're more than welcome to get in touch - I don't know that I'm a gigantic expert, but I'm happy to share.

Also, if you ever feel like seeing what the rank and file progressive voters are thinking, visit www.dailykos.com sometime. You don't have to read the comments - there are zillions of them per post. But just scan the articles now and again. It's quite good, well written and stays current with the latest info.

HorshamScouse said...

Can't imagine voting for a septuagenarian.Please don't let 59 million Americans be so dumb again.