Monday, January 23, 2006

Left Curve is One Year Old

Just a bit over a year ago, I followed a link to a website called "blogger.com" and within 5 minutes, I had a blog. That Friday night, I had not expected to start a blog; didn't have any plan in mind for maintaining a blog. But, like most successes in my life, my instincts took care of any careful planning I should have done. And now, on this auspicious anniversary, I'm pleased to say I've had this blog for a year.

What are the highlights of this past year? My favorite story is from last year's blizzard, and the miracle of Russell Avenue. I'm also fond of my own personal tracking of the 2004 world champion Red Sox, and the plans for Bob and my trip to San Francisco to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Politically, my favorite time was the late summer's celebration of "Fitzmas" when Scooter Libby went down; the saddest time was Hurricane Katrina. The fact that these events allowed the Chimp's approval ratings to drop through the floor made them somewhat more palatable.

Although I haven't had as much inspiration for writing the blog more recently, I do have an explanation. In recent weeks, my time has been sucked up by some new toys in my home - a large screen plasma HD-TV and a new device called a "digital video recorder" (aka TiVo). Because of this handy device, I've been able to actually watch shows that are broadcast after my relatively early bedtime, as well as those airing during the middle of the night or the middle of the workday. Seeing Letterman every day is a pleasure; watching the Daily Show/Colbert Report has allowed me to stay up with cultural references; seeing long PBS documentaries (like one on Willa Cather and Eleanor Roosevelt) has been fulfilling.

BUT, there's one major problem that I hadn't really anticipated: it takes TIME to watch all this TV and my list of recorded shows seems never-ending. So, I have been feeling this pressure to watch everything I record, and move things quickly through the DVR. The good part is I haven't really seen a whole tv commercial in quite some time. The bad news is that I haven't accomplished much else during any free time.

In spite of my less than regular blogging, I can say that when I started this blog last year, I knew for certain that I was doing it for me. If other people found it interesting, that would be great. But if no one even read it that would be fine Having said that, there was a time when I was obsessed with metrics and who was linking to Left Curve, etc. But now I'm certain that if I'm happy with the blog, that's enough for me.

So, here's to another year of blogging. And may we find ourselves with the same good health and happiness next January. Happy Blog Year everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well then. happy anniversary is in order for sure. :-)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy this blog because it helps keep me up to date on issues that are of great interest to me. Plus it saves me time in searching the web myself! (I am not just saying this because I am a friend of Beckperson.)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear "Left Curve", happy birthday to you (you look like a monkey and you smell like one too !!....couldn't resist, sorry). I love to read what you have to say even though I seldom comment, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on one year!