Friday, April 18, 2008

The One Where Obama Explains Hip Hop Music

As a kid, we think about the president as an old, white guy who is intelligent, worldly and wise. He (and it always was a he, of course) hung out with boring bankers and diplomats and came from a stodgy, Ivy League background. No doubt his family was wealthy and somewhat conservative in that they were usually keepers of the status quo. Let's face it, even the Democrats that have been elected are typically from the ruling class.

One of the most stunning things about Senator Obama, for me, is his age. If elected, this will be the first president who is younger than me. I have no problem with this, of course, as I'm getting to the part of my life where a LOT of people actually are younger than me. I'm used to it.

But do you want to know what I really appreciate about the good Senator? Today, I found a clip where he explains hip hop music. I've never been a fan of rap, don't listen to much of it because the sound mostly annoys me. Yeah, I'm not exactly the demographic they're going after, but I might have to try some after watching this clip. (Although the fact that he also mentions Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and the Temptations at the same time, does warm the cockles of my heart.)



Imagine a president who actually can talk about pop culture? I'm liking this idea.

2 comments:

Ted D said...

Becks, it's sort of refreshing, right?

"The audacity of hope".

I like it.

HorshamScouse said...

//Texas Music Series//
Norah Jones was brought up in Texas.

I'm just sayin'...