Tuesday, April 29, 2008

History Daze

Monday's drive to San Antonio included a deep immersion into colorful and heroic Texas history. Yes, we visited the Alamo and finally are beginning to put the pieces together toward understanding the Republic of Texas. For whatever reason, I always got this part of American historyconfused - between the Spanish-American War and the Mexican War and all the different players (as I mentioned the other day) I never really understood it. (Or, call me a xenophobe, if you like.)



Anyway, after seeing a couple of video presentations, hearing a live presentation by an Alamo docent, and walking through the hallowed grounds, it's starting to make more sense. If someone had asked me before visiting Texas when the Battle at the Alamo actually happened, I'm not sure what I would have responded, probably something like early 1800s. But it has been etched forever in that it took place in March of 1836, after the Battle at Goliad and before the 18-minute Battle of San Jacinto. Below you'll see the six flags of Texas:



In the midst of all of this some Texan leaders declared their independence from Mexico. It lasted for almost a decade before Texas decided to join the US as a state in 1845, and became embroiled in the Civil War as a slave state.

There are a lot of people who don't live in Texas who I know shake their heads at the pride these folks feel in their 'country.' After visiting and hearing the stories of the heroes, and knowing that Texas history isn't taught all that much outside the state, I can understand their feeling of being special.

Although I grew up in Ohio, I naturally gravitate to the stories of the American Revolution - and am awestruck by the important events that happened in my adopted home state of Massachusetts. People who grow up in Texas feel the same way about the events that happened here. I don't think this diminishes the love they have for the United States, it's just an added attraction for them. I admire this sense of home that they have - it's certainly not what I feel about being from Ohio.

One of the most interesting things is that the Alamo Shrine is treated, not just as a historic location, but as hallowed ground. When we visited, it was the day after the annual week-long San Antonio "Fiesta," and there were wreaths of flowers from all the states that existed at the time of the Alamo and the home countries of many who died (like Scotland, Germany, the Netherlands, England), making the site more the hallowed ground of a battlefield than just another tourist trap.

After the Alamo, we took a stroll along San Antonio's Riverwalk, which by all appearances is about all there is to show for the city. It was nice, but a bit of a manufactured tourist trap. But, the weather was gorgeous and it proved to be worth the trip.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

now you are a regular Texican.

Ted D said...

Becks is a Texican? Woot!

Went to the Alamo when I was a kid, and I was in awe. I've always loved the story and the courage of those men is amazing when you think about it.

Hopefully two weeks is enough time for you and Bob to recover from Tex before Elmerpalooza. ;)

sssssssss said...

Did you get to see the basement at the Alamo?

(Really nice story, Becks! I'm thoroughly enjoying your travelogue!)

beckperson said...

Cyn: http://www.zazzle.com/there_s_no_basement_in_the_alamo_shirt-235471879802467491