Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Reclaiming 9/11

Remember how you felt on September 11 and in the days that followed? When exactly did this hallowed day become a caricature of itself? Probably anytime Rudy Guiliani had anything to say about it.

Well, there are ways to avenge this double loss, and the families of some 9/11 victims are doing something important:

"Jim Riches, a New York deputy fire chief whose firefighter son was killed during the attack, said the group aimed to raise doubts about the central premise of Giuliani's presidential campaign -- his leadership role on Sept. 11. "If we have to follow him around all 2008 we'll do it," Riches said.

Lauded as "America's Mayor" for his blunt talk and compassion after the attacks, Giuliani's political stock soared, and he built a multimillion-dollar consulting group emphasizing his leadership skills."

and:

"But the former New York mayor's frequent references to Sept. 11 on the campaign trail have infuriated Riches and about 20 activists who lost firefighter sons. The New Yorkers blame Giuliani for decision-making failures that they say contributed to the deaths."


It is taking New Yorkers a while to crack St. Rudy's halo, but it appears they're getting ready to - and it's time.

8 comments:

Ted D said...

Hi Becks,

It's sort of turned my stomach the way Rudy has been using such a horrible event to try and win a nomination. Good to see some of the real hero's like Mr. Riches speak out.

And it's good to have my favorite left winger back blogging: you've helped open this political novices eyes a little bit. Not enough to vote for Hillary, mind you, but it's a start!

Have a great day.

Tex said...

I always try to find the good in bad...otherwise ill jump off bridges. however i agree you do NOT 'use' bad of others to promote youself in good light.

how can anyone preen themselves from so many other's tragedy and heartache?

beckperson said...

Ted, as a North Carolinian, what do you think of John Edwards?

And I'd also like to say that I'm not planning to vote for Hilary (at least in the primaries). However, if she IS the nominee, she'll get my vote.

Tex, I don't believe Rudy has a heart. How else would you justify how he treated his former wife?

Tex said...

speaking of treating wives...wonder how hilary will treat bill if they make it back to the white house.

Ted D said...

Becks, I actually like Edwards, and think he's a good man. I read his wife's book and came away impressed with both of them.

His common man act has not exactly played well in his home state, though.

beckperson said...

I love Elizabeth Edwards and think she'd make a very INTERESTING first lady. I very much enjoyed her book, too. In fact, I read the section about their son dying while I was on a plane and just sobbed. So sad and unnecessary. But I think it has propelled both of them to do better for the world.

Regarding their income, I find it interesting that a lot of people make fun of their large house and his haircuts. It does appear that John Edwards got his money the hard way: he earned it.

::gets off soap box::

I am going back and forth between Edwards and Obama - like both of them a lot. Mike Huckabee scares the bejesus out of me (if you'll pardon the expression) and Mitt Romney did nothing for our fair state. The Repub candidate that I admire the most and who I think would give us the hardest time in the general election: John McCain. My prediction is that he'll win the nomination. You heard it here first.

:)

Ted D said...

Becks, don't get me wrong, I think he earned his money and can spend it anyway he wants. I guess it's here like it is everywhere: people are jealous of someone better off than them.

I also like Obama and McCain. For the first time since I could vote, I'm torn on who I'll vote for, depending on who gets nominated.

Tex said...

one thing i'm so happy on is I grew up with a father who told my mother WHO to vote for...and she did. voted democrat across all the time. no matter.

then i came along. I questioned. now my mom watches and sometimes I think she's more informed than I am...she's able to watch news, interviews, etc all the time being retired. But all that to say...i told her long ago...i voted on the man who most closely believed in what I believed in and would do what I believed was important.

I agree with becks that Elizabeth Edwards would be excellent as 1st lady. Both Obama and Edwards are on my list of top contenders. and I agree McCain is one republican to watch.

thank pod we'll have the forest out of the city soon.