Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Cincinnati Kids

A funny thing happened on the way to the women's clothing department at Nordstrom's today. My husband sauntered up and calmly says, "When you're done here you might want to go downstairs. Kevin Youkilis is down there and a line is forming to meet him."

What? A member of the 2007 AL East Championship team downstairs and I'm supposed to continue shopping? In retrospect, I suppose the poor man had difficulty deciding between my love of shoe shopping and my love of the Sox. But, I dropped everything and got in the rather short line. Kinda felt foolish without any Sox garb or children in tow, but I did have a camera and a notebook for him to sign.



So, what did Kevin and I talk during my approximately 90 seconds of contact?

Me: I have just one question for you: Skyline or Gold Star?

Youk: Skyline

Me: Eastside or Westside?

Youk: Eastside, Montgomery

Me: Where did you go to school? Moeller?

Youk: No, I'm Jewish. Sycamore

Me: My brother-in-law went there.

Husband drags me away...

Me: Nice job this year. Good luck!



Too funny for words. I had to wonder how the heck Youk managed to get to the Natick Mall at 1 pm after partying the night away. I know I was exhausted and I went to bed at a decent hour.

So, that was my excitement for today.

Congratulations, Red Sox! Bring on the Angels!



Just another note: One of my nieces may have been in Youk's graduation class at Sycamore High School. Beth, if you're reading this, let me know if you know Kevin, ok?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, he was a year younger than Andy, so he was a freshman when I was a senior. His brother, Scott, was in my class (also a baseball player but not in the major leagues).

I only found out about the Sycamore connection to the Red Sox about a year ago myself!

beckperson said...

Beth, I read on the web that he graduated from Sycamore in 1994, so that means you graduated in 1991? That doesn't seem right. Of course, math was never my strong suit. :-)

Anonymous said...

I graduated in 1994. He is in my senior yearbook as a freshman, which would have put him class of '97. I'm guessing your internet source is wrong.

Nancy said...

Lucky bith.

beckperson said...

Beth, Of course you're right. He was listed as being on the 1994 Sycamore baseball team (won some kind of championship that year). Didn't occur to me till now that he didn't graduate then. Somehow I always think these ballplayers are older than they are. (Well, in my case, I'm older than I think, so it makes sense.)

Nancy (not my sister, the other Nancy), I've left you wide open to launch one of your familiar age taunts now. Go for it. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. It's still pretty cool to have gone to school with someone famous. Other than the girl in my class in prison for murdering her mom (seriously!). I don't know if you have ever heard of Stewart Mandel? He's a columnist for Sports Illustrated (I think) and writes mostly about college football. But he was in my class and I did know him pretty well, so it was weird one day to look over Seth's shoulder and see his picture attached to a column Seth was reading.

Ted D said...

becks, that is all kind of awesome!!! A picture with Youk!

Congratulations.

::goes off into corner to sulk::

beckperson said...

Beth,
I must have a scan of the Youkilis freshman picture. See what you can do, ok? :)

Ted,
It WAS pretty cool - especially since it was so unexpected! I love live sometimes. Good luck with your big show this week! Hopefully we'll get some of the early games so we don't have to stay up half the night later in the week.

beckperson said...

Actually I love life sometimes, but you know what I meant...

:)))))

Ted D said...

I knew what you were trying to say: thanks for the pv's. It's boring, long, and uneventful, but it's a necessary evil. I'm SO glad I'll only have 2 games where I have to worry about staying up. I'm just hoping we don't get any 5 oclock games, since I won't get home every night until 7 at the earliest.

::still sulking::

Anonymous said...

Our scanner is not hooked up, and even if it was, I don't know how to use it. I will do what I can to maybe get you a photocopy and send it by hard mail? It might take a little bit of time though....

Anonymous said...

Okay, on second thought I attempted taking a picture of the yearbook picture. It is wending its way to you through cyberspace (email). Let me know what you think.