Monday, September 10, 2007

Beyond 9/11

On Monday, September 10, 2001, one of my nieces was in New York City interviewing for a job at a company called Cantor Fitzgerald. It just so happened that Cantor Fitzgerald was a tenant of a building called One World Trade Center, located on the 102nd floor. If she had been there a day later, could she possibly have been a victim of the terrorist attack? Perhaps. But, it's a haunting thought, and luckily not one that our family has had to think about.

But as we approach the anniversary tomorrow, we're going to hear a lot of talk about revenge and Al Qaeda, and what the Chimp has (or hasn't) done to keep us safe from further attacks.

I had a passing thought the other day about 9/11 and the disappointment I have with our country's response to it. We went from immediate shock and horror, to actively seeking a payback, and now a generally blase feeling about - at least so far as I can tell.

What if our response had been different? What if we had simply done the necessary things to bring those responsible to justice? What then? Would we have been able to move on and focus on the bigger picture? Would we be able to commemorate the anniversary of these horrible deaths with a bit more...I'm searching for the right word...pride? What I'm trying to say is so long as that dingbat is in the White House, he will keep us psychologically stuck on September 11, 2001.

Imagine, if you will, a president that took us forward - and focused us all on a brighter future. Next year, we have the opportunity to put this horror behind us. At long last. It's time.





PS: After writing this post, I came across this post from Anna Quindlin in Newsweek. She says it better than me, but it's a similar message.

8 comments:

Ted D said...

becks, on our drive to Baltimore this weekend, my brother and I talked about a lot of stuff. With the anniversary of 9-11 approaching and the released video, there was some nervous chatter between the two of us. We both commented on how this administration, much like the news, operates on a cycle of fear.

I'm not very smart, and I tend to focus on my own family and what's happening there. But this line, "Next year, we have the opportunity to put this horror behind us. At long last. It's time." struck a nerve.

I'm really glad you and Bobbers had a great vacation: and thanks for keeping all of us thinking.

Tex said...

Becks..aside from all the political stuff this date always brought...it made me stop and live life more abundantly. The incident changed me forever...for the better. I choose now to remember those who lost their lives by living mine to the fullest...so I dont have regrets or wish I hadda...

We need to move on I agree. and next year can be that time.

HorshamScouse said...

I just dug out an email I sent to my sister in VA the day after the last election:

"Seems like Abe Lincoln was right: you can fool some of the people all of the time. Four more rotten years then President Clinton (H.R.)

John"

with this http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blbushdumbpeople.htm

as an attachment.

Please Pod, as they say, get it right next time.

beckperson said...

HS! I had read that story about Bush in Australia. I can't tell you how embarrassed we all are to have him represent us. Please accept our sincere apologies. People outside the US must think we're a country full of lunatics.

Hey...wait....

:))

beckperson said...

Ted, I can't imagine how any parent who lost a child six years ago, or in the war can be kept from standing up and screaming that they want CHANGE. If I was a parent, I'd be scared shitless.

Tex, you amaze me every day. You are an inspiration to me with your positive attitude. Am I surprised that you found something good as a result of September 11, 2001? Not at all.

beckperson said...

John, believe it or not, I'm not convinced that we need HRC next. I really am not fond of the idea of "inherited" power. I'm keeping an open mind and want to give Obama and Edwards a full hearing over the next few months. Should be interesting!

Anonymous said...

LOVE THIS POST ESPECIALLY SINCE I KNEW FOUR PEOPLE THAT DIED:(

HorshamScouse said...

Becks, I wrote that 4 years ago about Hillary. Obama seems so young/inexperienced. Edwards I don't know about.

I'd support any of the above against any of the likely Republican candidates though.