Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Le Changement est Bon

Upon first meeting my friend Susan you will be struck immediately by two distinctive features: her extra loud, boisterous guffaw of a laugh and her beautiful, stylish clothes. Look deeper and you'll see she is also smart, perceptive, sarcastic, well-organized, profane and loyal.

Susan and I worked together for about 10 years and I've always believed there is a sort of sisterhood between us. For instance, here are some of our commonalities:
  • We have a mutual disdain for the Bush Administration. In fact, Susan hosted many "Bush Bash" evenings during the dark days of 2003-5 before the rest of the country caught up to our way of thinking.

  • We share an obnoxious (and juvenile) sense of humor. Susan and I once spent nearly an entire meeting with a vendor talking like goats. (One of those "you have to be there" moments for sure.)

  • We have a similar lack of reverence, shall we say, for corporate rules. She speaks her mind too often. I wear the wrong clothes or make bad jokes at inopportune times.
But, in spite of our inadequacies, Susan and I actually did some great work together, and were once given an employee award from our company. And, by the time our shared work experience ended, we could read each other's minds. It was spooky that I could cover for her when I knew she was ready to explode. And, when I was just about to step on a land mine (usually of my own making), she would throw a body block and save me. It got to the point where we would just need a glance or a raised eyebrow and we'd come to each other's rescue.

It's hard to believe that we haven't worked together for nearly a year, and now we are preparing for an even bigger change. Susan and her husband are planning to relocate to North Carolina in the fall. Perhaps the fact that we haven't seen each other every day will make the transition easier. Perhaps the fact that Susan and Daryl will make North Carolina just a wee bit "bluer," will make me not miss them as much. Then again, perhaps pigs will sprout wings and fly.

I know they aren't leaving Boston until October, but I just wanted to say it's been a pleasure to know you both. We're going to miss you terribly. And when you've tired of southern hospitality, you know we'll welcome you home with open arms.

Bon voyage, mes amis!

2 comments:

beckperson said...

Ted, Susan and Daryl are moving to Raleigh - how close is that to you?

Ted D said...

Raleigh is about 45 mintues from me: I'll be glad to be the welcome wagon for them.