Saturday, August 18, 2007

Busy Week, Miscellaneous News

Some people get distracted by shiny objects. This week I've been very distracted during my free time with the new iPhone. Between finally getting to know iTunes (the Master Software for Life Itself, I'm convinced), and downloading new music, the days have passed by very quickly.

I've missed such notable events as Karl's "resignation" from the White House. It's about time that the man moved on, after masterminding the collapse of the Chimp's second term. There is literally NOTHING he did that turned out well. Beginning with trying to keep poor Terry Schiavo alive, to attempting to privatize Social Security, to attempting to orchestrate the "marketing" of a war without end, the man has done nothing worthwhile.

In many ways, Rove is just like the New York Yankees. He's living on past glories and a reputation that is no longer relevant. And just like the Sox vanquishing that Evil Empire, we shall soon exile him to Texas (but not to Austin).

Also in the news this week was the Utah mine fiasco. First the collapse of the mine and the death of workers trying to help save them.

But we also find out that the guy in charge of mine safety in the Chimp's Administration wasn't even able to be confirmed by the REPUBLICAN Senate and was given a recess appointment. I know you won't believe it but he was an executive for an energy company, not someone who may have had the interests of miners at the top of his list (even though he was once a miner himself).

In a magical confluence of events, the owner of the collapsed Utah mine is also a Republican crony, who dropped names (like KY Senator Mitch McConnell) in order to get mine inspectors off his back. Who is McConnell married to? Why the Secretary of Labor who oversees mine safety. Hmmmmmm, wonder what they talk about over dinner? It's certainly not how they can improve mine safety.

Cronyism. It's what could kill many of us one day. I may be distracted by the electronic toys in my life, but I'm not completely blind.

14 comments:

Ted D said...

Becks,

Since 9-11, the news is rarely on in my house, because of the questions that will be asked by those not young enough to understand. I read the USA Today everyday, but I appreciate people like you who REALLY keep their eye on things and sort of help get the word out.

The things you wrote in this blog I had never heard before: again, not watching the news I only get bits and pieces: I guess you could say I know just enough to be dangerous.

Keep up with the good work and I hope you are well.

Tex said...

sometimsa i think itd be niace to lve in a asmall town anda far awaya poso iwouldnt knnow all this

Ted D said...

Tex being Tex! :)

beckperson said...

The sad part is we can now READ it and understand it. :-)

hayes said...

Yeah, Karl might've resigned, but I'm positive it's to help with a campaign somewhere. Dickhead.

Ted D said...

Becks, it's like we've all learned a second language!

hayes, I read earlier this week he's doing some kind of work for McCain in a advisory capacity.

Tex said...

sober Tex here. I saw a tshirt last night. Said I'm Sotally Tober..I couldnt quit giggling.

Ted D said...

Tex, you need that shirt.

Seriously.

And I'm hoping Becks doesn't mind SG hijacking her blog!

beckperson said...

No worries...happy that you're here!

Ted D said...

Glad to hear it becks.

And can I say that back to back wake up calls by my son makes Ted a grumpy boy.

becks, I was trying to think of the guys name that was Bush's press secretary when he first took office: I can see the guy in my brain, but can't remember his name. Any help?

beckperson said...

First press secretary: Ari Fleischer; second one: Scott McClellan.

I may not have Josh Blue's brain for baseball stats, but I do know my politicos. (For what THAT's worth.)

Ted D said...

Ari Fleischer: thats him.

Classless game tonight, huh? Gotta love it.

Thanks for the trivia pick up: you are the anti-Ted. You remember important things, while my brother and I can recite, word for word, "Mr. Mom", "The Princess Bride", and "Rat Race"!

beckperson said...

Ted, must be a guy thing. Bob does the same thing. He's forever quoting movies and commercials and I have no clue what he's talking about:

"220, 210...whatever it takes!"

OK, that one I remember, but that's it!

:-)

Ted D said...

becks, lol, that is our FAVORITE line to quote to each other while Angie and Amanda look at us like "tell us again WHY we married you two morons?"

See, Rakes gets it honest!