Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Day Beignets Saved My Life

It was a rainy and cold January Sunday afternoon in New Orleans. We were walking through the French Quarter dodging the raindrops, listening to the sounds from a street performer's saxophone. I looked up and saw a cafe offering cafe au lait and one of the most wonderful food items ever invented: the beignet. If you haven't been to New Orleans, you may not have had the opportunity to taste this decadent little desert: a deep friend piece of dough, covered with powdered sugar. We were lucky enough to find a little table in the window of the cafe, where they served us fresh-from-the-oven, still warm beignets. While the rain continued to fall, I went from a sad, cold, hungry tourist to the happiest person on earth, and we happily faced the rest of the day.

And that's how beignets saved my life.

Luckily, the most popular outpost of the beignet in the French Quarter reopened today - the Cafe du Monde, which is open every day of the year (except Christmas), 24/7. I look forward to visiting the French Quarter soon - and hopefully I'll get the beignet before I'm a starving and wiped out mess.

No comments: