Thursday, September 01, 2005

This Land Is Your Land, This Land Is My Land

Adding something profound to the zillions of words about Katrina on the web is an impossibility. We sat and watched the news tonight and I ended up sobbing at what I was seeing in New Orleans. Apparently, Americans all over this great land are beginning to understand the enormity of what is happening to the most vulnerable among us.

And yet, it appears that no one in a position of authority has a meaningful response. In fact, in some cases it appears that the refugees are being blamed for not leaving the city when they were told to do so before the hurricane hit. Can you imagine?

I am distraught for my country. I am beyond frustration at not being able to do anything.

As someone said to me recently: "If we can't handle a natural disaster, how the hell will we handle a major terrorist attack?" And this: "What does it tell those who would harm us about our preparedness?" Now that's a scary proposition, isn't it?

The Chimp says he's sending money. But right now, it doesn't appear that money is actually the answer. The refugees need transportation - where are the airlines or even small private planes (dare I even say "corporate" planes?), where is the shipping industry with barges, where are the cruise ships? People need food and water.

Looting?
If one more fucking person says anything about "looters" I might rip their lips off. What would you do after being scared shitless by the initial hurricane, knowing your home is gone, your job is gone, and that you have no money or resources? What would you do if you knew there was food and water or medical supplies in a drug store and you were desperate? This is commonly known as "nothing left to lose." Yet, the Chimp says we should show so-called looters "zero tolerance." Well, I say let's show zero tolerance to the incompetence that passes for crisis management.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN !!