Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Autumn Wishes

Last year at this time, I was faced with an interesting dilemma.

The election was looming with the Worst.President.Ever. running for re-election. Simultaneously, I was hanging on to every pitch as the Red Sox baseball season was winding down and the postseason was gearing up. Since I am a realist, and not greedy, I tried to decide between two wishes. So, I asked myself, which wish will it be? A World Series win or a John Kerry win?

Believe it or not, I opted for the World Series win - I truly did. In my humble opinion, I figured the chances were better that a Democrat would win the Presidency sometime in my lifetime than for the Sox to win a championship. Therefore, I put all my effort into wishing for the first championship (altogether now!) in 86 years.

And, oh what a happy year it has been since that fateful October day! In actuality, I'm not certain that Red Sox Nation has ever come down from Cloud Nine in the eleven months since the Big Win. Hardly a day went by this year that we didn't see the replay of the final out - the ball hit back to Keith Foulke, who tossed it ever-so-gently to Doug Mientkiewicz at first base, who promptly jumped in the air with both arms raised. Next, a pile of wild celebrants on the pitcher's mound - you've all seen it, too, I'm sure.

In the aftermath of the Big Win, the Sox ownership has taken the unprecedented step of touring the World Series trophy like a hot rock star. During this year, it has made guest appearances in every one of the 147 cities and towns of Massachusetts, every New England state, New York, California, Florida and many states (and foreign countries) in between. Often we hear the comment that every citizen of Red Sox Nation must have had their picture taken with it. For the record, I haven't . However, I DID get to try on one of the $15,000 championship rings that were raffled off for charity over the summer. And I have the picture to prove it, so there!

Tonight, as I type this, the Sox and MFY's are tied for first place. The outcome of this season remains in the balance, which is torturing me to no end. In fact, I get so ungodly nervous that I can't even watch the games. Regardless of how this season wraps up this weekend, I thank the Sox for all the happiness they've brought us and think they've done remarkably well this season in spite of the rampant injuries to the pitching staff. (Luckily, we have a number of young pitchers who will presumably make next year interesting, but that's a story for another day! Oh, and memo to Sox management: Can you please resign Johnny Damon?)

On the political front, however, I am witnessing the reverse of last autumn. While the Sox are deadlocked for the championship, I just may be seeing the beginning of another historic CHOKE, a la the NY Yankees last year. The Chimp's approval ratings are in the toilet, mere months after he declared his re-election "mandate." Tom DeLay was indicted today on charges of criminal conspiracy and money laundering. Bill Frist will perhaps be investigated soon by the SEC for insider trading. The Chimp and his cronies are under daily fire for ongoing corruption, cronyism and downright incompetence.

So. Once again, I am faced with a dilemma. Do I get another successful baseball postseason for the Sox? Or, on the other hand, do I finally get to see the real loosening of the Right Wing's hold on this country? While I'm still not ready to throw in the towel on our Carmine Hose, the political season is shaping up quite nicely - things are looking ever more hopeful to those of us who have been despairing the lack of decency, the lying, the corruption in the GOP.

So which will I chose? Hmmmm, can I get back to you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely put, Sis !!