Monday, June 13, 2005

Sox-Reds Playing Tonight

Growing up in Cincinnati, I came of age watching the Big Red Machine (Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, and my personal favorite Tony Perez). I was one of the only people in New England in 1975 who was rooting for the Reds when they played the Sox in the World Series (another 30 year milestone, yikes!). Had I known then what I know now about Red Sox Nation's long-suffering need for a World Series win, I would have changed my tune...after all the Reds had won several championships (can't resist the tweak).

However, tonight, I'm enjoying watching the game at Fenway Park, which pairs these two classic teams in interleague play, but I'm definitely an American League fan these days! Regardless, there's an interesting story about a former Reds player and announcer Joe Nuxhall, who began pitching in the big leagues at the age of 15+ years old. Thought you baseball fans might be interested in checking it out. (Oh God, Don Gullett, of the Big Red Machine, is the pitching coach for the Reds. Could he really be that old?)


Big Red Machine, circa 1976

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and a thousand apologies to Nancy. She had a ball signed by everyone in that picture, and I lost it. Just shoot me.