Saturday, November 24, 2007

Procrastination Does Not Become Me

Well, I've avoided this post for a while and I cannot think of any good reasons why. Since the Scotland trip, life hasn't been all that chock full of rockin' good times, nor has it been lower than low. It's just been, well, November. The first glimpses of winter have appeared and we've finally decided to put away the summer yard tools and make our first tentative stabs at Christmas shopping.

Our big debate this year: what to do about Christmas decorating. A few weeks ago I was dead-set against ANY sort of celebratory gee-gaws. Now I have to admit, I'm starting to feel a tiny twinge of the seasonal spirit. But, just when I do, the thought of hauling up the boxes from the basement makes me feel a tad verklempt. It's shocking me to think this way as I could never stand hearing old people say "well, I don't think we'll put up a tree this year." But that might be exactly where we are this year.

Much as I love the Christmas decorations, giving myself a year off the tradition treadmill may just make it seem even more interesting next year. Part of me thinks it would just be rebellious as hell, too, which has a certain appeal. Of course, next year might be the year I get my other fond wish: to spend the holidays in a tropical climate. Umbrella drinks instead of eggnog? When do I pack?

1 comment:

HorshamScouse said...

I know what you mean about the decorating. Since I've been on my own I've rarely made the effort except when the kids were younger.

I do appreciate my sister's efforts, which are largely for her granddaughter. I'm trading subtropical, mid-summer Wellington for whatever Woodbridge VA has to offer: couple of years ago we had a barbecue on New Year's Eve. Year before that it snowed on Christmas Day.