Monday, September 11, 2006

Fear and the Cuckoo's Nest

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days.

In such a spirit on my part and on yours we face our common difficulties."



At this very moment, the Chimp is giving us his very best scare tactics in his September 11 commemorative speech, but I decided to provide my own dream speech from one of our greatest Presidents, above.

On our TV, we'd rather watch our own version of the Bush administration..."One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Somehow it seems only too fitting. I'm feeling a lot like R.P. McMurphy right about now because I refuse to sit and be fearful of everything that happens, every "potential" problem, real or imagined. In FDR's case, he convinced Americans to believe in capitalism (for good or for ill) and bolstered our whole way of life with the mere force of his personality. And he did it without benefit of massmedia and spin doctors. So, while I like vegetables, I refuse to sit here and let the Chimp and his minions berate us all into behaving just as they want us to. Here's the line I just heard from the movie, when McMurphy is being interviewed by the administrator in the hospital to which he has been sent:

"They tell me I'm crazy because I don't sit there like a goddamn vegetable. Don't make a bit of sense to me. If that's what being crazy is, then I'm senseless, out of it, gone down the road wackoo. But no more, no less."



Let's hope we're all McMurphy now, and just a wee bit crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

F.D.R. and J.P.M. in the same blog - nice ! Perfect segue.