Saturday, March 18, 2006

People, Let Me Tell You 'Bout My Best Friend...

My best buddy from high school is passing through town this weekend while on the traditional college tour with her teenaged daughter. It seems like a minute-and-a-half ago that Janet and I were contemplating our futures, back in the early '70s. Pre-Watergate, pre-pullout of Vietnam, pre-college, pre-marijuana, pre-marriages, pre-children (hers), pre-divorce (hers) and pre-menopause (mine, but probably hers also).

A lot has happened over the years to both of us and the world. But the beautiful thing is that when we see each other we're pretty much the same. I still am better with planning and driving directions; she's the better writer. I'm more practical; she's the dreamer, and, by a long shot, the more intelligent. And, as is typical, I work in a corporation in a big city, she's a college professor in a small town. In the last election, she was a Kucinich voter; I went for Edwards. Both of us went for Kerry in the end, however, and both of us are appalled at where the United States is going today.

It will be interesting to spend the day with Janet and Amanda and to see where her third (of 4) daughters is, both intellectually and personally.

And to catch up with my pal. Certainly brightens up a cold March weekend.

No comments: