Sunday, March 05, 2006

And the Winner Is...

Sorry for the lack of posts recently...no real explanation since there's been plenty of craziness going on in Washington. Makes our job here just way too easy, doesn't it?

So, in light of the fact that everyone's talking about the port deal, the ridiculously low poll numbers (apparently lower than those of Tricky Dick during Watergate), etc., I thought I'd try my hand at Oscar predictions. If you recall, last year I went on the record as saying I didn't think "Million Dollar Baby" should win and, of course, it did.

This year, I believe the frontrunner is "Brokeback Mountain" and I couldn't agree more. Unlike "Million Dollar Baby" this was actually an original story about totally overlooked people in a totally overlooked place and time. And, to me, that's what makes it the best picture this year. All of which has nothing to do with the sexuality of any involved. In fact, I was reading an article about Brokeback the other day that referred to Ennis as gay and I actually stopped to think about it. I don't know whether that says anything about my general acceptance of sexuality or whether the story was that good. Either way, I took it as a good sign about the movie.

As much as I liked "Good Night and Good Luck," it doesn't deserve the win because it didn't have as coherent a story. I came away from it thinking that I knew a lot more about Joseph McCarthy than the movie told. This made me wonder if people new to the story (like those under the age of 45) would actually be able to understand it fully.

I liked "Crash" moderately well, but it's not best picture material and why it was nominated is beyond me. I think it was an important story to tell, but the movie was fairly predictable AND unrealistic. People don't actually talk to people of different races the way they do in this movie. In my experience, I find that people do talk to others in their own race the way it's depicted in the movie, which makes racism much more subtle and subversive. But, if nothing else, it reminds people that there still is a long way to go.

I haven't seen "Capote," "Walk the Line" or some of the other big movies, but I think the Academy missed the boat on not nominating "The Constant Gardener" for more awards. I thought Ralph Fiennes was fabulous, the story was quite original, as was its setting. It definitely did not look like every other movie from a visual perspective.

Anyway, for what its worth, here's my hoped for predictions:

Best picture: Brokeback Mountain
Best actor: Heath Ledger
Best actress: Felicity Huffman
Best supporting actor: George Clooney
Best supporting actress: Rachel Weisz
Best director: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain

I just hope George Clooney wins at least one award as I'm dying to hear what will pop out of that witty man's mouth...and we both grew up in greater Cincinnati, so I have to go with the hometown guy. Plus, I have a reason to post his picture on the blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, George won for best supporting actor, so now I think I'll put a little ribbon on his picture (you know which one) in honor of his win.

Susan Gets Native said...

Uh, Nancy...you have a picture of George Clooney? Do have a little shrine and everything?

LOL
Hooray for George!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do !! It's a long story and I tell you about it sometime.