Monday, July 14, 2008

Shanghai Surprise

Yesterday's travels to Shanghai and today's workday have pooped me out. This won't have a lot of content, mostly pictures because I'm ready for bed. But I do want to at least get this much done. And I'm sorry for not responding to emails, I hope to do more of that tomorrow!

Took some pictures from our 38th floor breakfast area in the hotel, the lobby itself:





How 'bout these crazy chairs?



We were lucky enough to get a driver to transport us to the office on the outskirts of Shanghai. It was a wild ride, even by my standards. Pedestrians crossed between cars, bicycles darted in and out of traffic. The van we were riding in switched lanes uncountable numbers of times, sometimes blowing its horn, sometimes crossing the double yellow line to pass cars when another car was coming toward us. I finally found a city with worse drivers than Boston! Some pictures from out the car window:







After work, we went out for Chinese food. Ha! See what I did there?? I crack myself up. (Yeah, I'm tired. So what of it?)

Anyway...multiple dishes are placed on the lazy Susan and you simply serve yourself from the group dishes:



It was delicious. Except for some raw meat that I steered clear of.

One of our colleagues made us go out to the lobby of the restaurant to see the "100 day" birthday party being thrown by a family of a 100-day old daughter. Seems they invited 300 of their nearest and dearest to mark the occasion. Note the poster-sized pictures of the child! If she gets this for being 100 days old, what in hell will her wedding be like?



Not too much of excitement planned for the next few days. Counting the hours till the long plane ride back home!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing even though you're "pooped" ! I hope you get a chance to go to bed early one day this week. MISS YOU!

Ted D said...

38th floor breakfast room?

::passes out::

Nancy said...

Great idea! I'm wallpapering my bedroom with poster-sized photos of myself right now...

Tex said...

i think we all should have 1,000,000,000,000,000 etc birthdays

HorshamScouse said...

Love the idea of a 38th floor lobby.

//I finally found a city with worse drivers than Boston!//

I assume you've never driven in Brussels?

::Returns to papering my walls with poster-sized photos of Nancy::

beckperson said...

John, I've driven in a car through Brussels, but didn't drive there myself.

This place is WAY beyond the general civility of Europe. The people on bicycles have a freakin' death wish.

hayes said...

I LOVE the chairs!!!

I been catching up...:)