Monday, July 07, 2008

The Other Side of the World

I made it! Writing this morning from beautiful, downtown Tokyo. The past 36 hours have been interesting and hopefully the start of some good times.

Just to recap: Sunday morning I was picked up by the airport van around 5:30 am. It's really hard to say goodbye to loved ones, and this particular part of the trip was NO fun. But Bob waved me around the corner, and I left with a lump in my throat. However, I also knew he was going to have some time to do the things he likes to do without me interrupting him, AND, presumably with good health.

Anyway, got to Logan and hopped on a little American Eagle flight to JFK - one of the planes with two seats on the right, and one on the left. I was in the second to last row, right in front of the screaming one year old. Niiice.

The flight from NYC to Tokyo was vastly overrated, time-wise. Instead of the 14 hours they said, it was only a little over 12. (That's for my friend Cyn.) In business class, the time flies by. They're either feeding you food, offering you a drink, or you're searching their video offerings, or sleeping.

Making decisions on TV shows to watch can be difficult ;-). I watched a couple versions of "House", a few episodes of "The Office." Also watched "The Shawshank Redemption" in its entirety. It's been a long time since I saw that movie without it being all cut up for TV. STILL one of my all-time favorites. Never did pull out any of my own entertainment - too lazy to bend down and get it organized from my carry on bag.

Arrival in Tokyo was around 2:00 pm local time. Going through customs and baggage claim was a snap. I think Japanese are probably the single most well-organized people on the face of the earth. Lots of bowing ensued, too. Can't beat that.

Off I went to catch the aiport bus that circles downtown Tokyo letting recent arrivals like me off at their hotels. I was surprised that the airport is a 45-minute drive or so from downtown Tokyo. Took a while to get here, but the scenery was just the same as in any big port city. Lots of industrial stuff, some commercial areas, the usual view of highways in a major metropolis. (Somehow I always feel that exotic locations, like this, should be different from everyday life, but they neve are.)

The hotel we're staying in is superb, but not the most expensive one at just around $240 a night (I'm finding everything in Tokyo to be expensive, so far.) It's right next to the Tokyo Tower:



While I took photos on the plane with the iPhone, I didn't take my real camera out till the hotel room and the picture above is the view from my room. When the room gets cleaned up after my first night's sleep, I'll take some more Also, you'll get a picture of the toilet, which is everything you've heard, and more! It slices, it dices, well....maybe not any of that, but just about everything else. You know what the best part is? It's located in its own "room" and the light turns on and the lid pops open when you open the door. Yeah, it's the little things that make me happy. But more to come on the toilet.

Went to dinner last night with my colleague, we'll call Tom. He's a nice guy, but we have next to nothing in common personally. He's the suburban father of two - and a Republican. So let's just say we've agreed to disagree on many occasions.

You know what's odd? Having a guy you work with knock on your hotel door to pick you up to go to dinner. That's when you truly start to miss your hubby. (Hi Bob!) Then, we walk into the Japanese steakhouse in our hotel and they seat us next to each other facing one of those grills where the chef cooks for you right there. Again, awkward. However, the food was excellent - and I made it through with the chopsticks! But when another guy came by and asked if we wanted our picture taken, cue up another awkward moment. Tom didn't know quite what do do and neither did I. But we took the picture and it's as awkward as it sounds. (No, I'm not posting it.) Do you get it now? It was AWKWARD. ;-) And I have 10 more days of this ahead.

But after a great night's sleep, I'm up and at 'em this morning. The weather in Tokyo apparently is taking its cues from Boston's recent weather. Overcast, humid. Now I get to get my head together and get to the office around noontime. (I got a reprieve for this morning since I arrived later than expected.)

Anyhoooo, more pictures to come. Hope you all are well.

(Go Sox!)

8 comments:

Ted D said...

Hey Becks! You make 12 hours instead of 14 sound like my flight to Baltimore!

And that toilet sounds like it should come with it's own manual.

Have a great trip, and I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe we got a post so soon. You did make me chuckle with the description of the toilet, can't wait for a picture of it! So glad everything is going well so far. Keep the posts coming, have fun and don't forget to do some work too!

akajetison said...

With all the bowing you must feel right at home ;-)

Ted D said...

Bob, you just ensured you spend at least one night on the sofa. ;)

Tex said...

well becks, you could tell Tom all about your great awesome friend who lives in that stupendous city called Austin! :)

Ahh SOOOOOOOOOOO.

beckperson said...

Great sushi lunch today. Food is unexpectedly good.

Konichiwa!

HorshamScouse said...

Sounds like you're having fun. Please promise me you won't actually post from the automagic toilet:)

sssssssss said...

I've read all your posts thus far (starting with the newest, so this is the last one I read). I'm so excited for you having this adventure! Thank you for sharing your photos and experiences!

And I teared up reading about you saying goodbye to Bob.

//Instead of the 14 hours they said, it was only a little over 12.//

Well, damn, sign me up! ;)