Thursday, June 05, 2008

Promise

It's been a nutty day, and a slightly crazier evening, but I didn't want this day to pass without mentioning that this is the 40th anniversary of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination. There have been many tributes over the past few days, including some touching commentary from his kids.

Let's just say, I remember vividly being told of Bobby's death in the early morning of June 6. My mom, who was not an early riser, came to my bed to wake me up and tell me what happened. As a 14 year old, I had already been through the deaths of JFK and MLK Jr., and had developed the notion that this sort of thing was not all that abnormal, in a strange way.

It broke our hearts to watch another Kennedy family funeral, with Ethel wearing the veil this time. And, although it was a solemn affair, Bobby's situation was more touching...with people of all ages and colors watching the train carrying his body roll through their towns - from California to Washington.

I also remember being much more devastated by the loss of RFK and the promise that was snuffed out. Still pisses me off when I think of it. Imagine, no Nixon, no Watergate, a shorter Viet Nam war, most likely.

What might have been?

2 comments:

Ted D said...

Becks, My parents both felt the same way about Bobby Kennedy. Dad is a life long Republican but he never could stand Richard Nixon.

Tex said...

PVS to the Kennedys. sad to think assassination was norm back then...

Imagine...sounds like a good name for a song