Thursday, April 19, 2007

Human Kindness...Pass it On

I'm avoiding news programming since I saw the coverage last night of the "multi-media" manifesto of the Virginia Tech killer. That NBC saw fit to show the home-made video and images of that sad, lost soul is beyond me. We don't usually get so emotionally involved in the news that we feel the need to turn the TV off altogether, but we did.

So, today in my minimal web browsing today I tried to avoid anything related to the shooting, but a headline caught my eye: "Ex-classmates say gunman was bullied." How freakin' sad is it that something so simple as showing kindess and care for a young Korean immigrant might have prevented these senseless murders?

It reminds me, once again, that the casual, thoughtless comment ("nappy-headed hos" anyone?) is indeed hurtful and has the potential to do deep, significant harm. This world is hard enough to get through for those of us with decent mental health. But, we shouldn't compound the problems of others who could be less healthy by making their lives even more difficult through verbal abuse or taunting.

Could it be that all the money, anti-depressents and therapy matters less than simple, human kindess? Well, that's so easy we don't have any excuses not to comply then, do we? Do we?

No comments: