Thursday, November 17, 2005

Cheers to Jack Murtha

Did you know Jack Murtha before today? I sure didn't. All day in the blogosphere note was made of Representative Murtha's call for the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq. Didn't surprise me. Didn't interest me all that much - people are jumping off the war bandwagon faster than a ...well, faster than the fastest thing you can think of.

Anyway, what finally caught my attention about Murtha's remarks was a TV clip I saw this evening in which the good Rep was asked about the flak he was taking from the Preznit and Vice Preznit on his position. And he responded, thusly (and he was quite choked up as he is a veteran himself, I take it):

"I like guys who got five deferments and (have) never been there and send people to war, and then don't like to hear suggestions about what needs to be done," Murtha said."

Well said, Congressman. The rest of us don't like it much either. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, he's a veteran (Vietnam). Did you hear him last night when he was talking about the injuries of the soldiers he has visited in the hospital. I only caught the last part of it, but it was quite moving. The poor man had tears running down his cheek while he desbribed these injuries. It sure caught my attention.