Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Being Thankful

.
On Thanksgiving Eve, our thoughts turn to listing those things for which I am most thankful. Here goes:

1. Health and well-being: My husband and I are as healthy as middle-aged people can be (for the most part) and this evermore will be #1 on my list. Keep it coming. In 2005 I conquered my bad back, thanks to a wonderful pair of chiropractors and joining a gym (who'da thunk?)!

2. My family: I am related to some of the wackiest - and most wonderful - people on earth. In spite of what they all think, I do wish we were spending the holiday together. This holiday, and all others in the future.

3. Blogging: This humble space on the internets has been a great place to take note of 2005. It's interesting to be able to look back on the year, knowing I started this thang during the middle of a blizzard, wrote many posts to describe many a snowstorm, right on through a fairly good baseball season, right up to today as we prepare to finish up the year. I thank those of you who actually read it and those who comment get a big *smooch*!

4. Friends: There have been many years when the Thanksgiving holiday was a time to ditch the people I work with and get as far away from them as possible, but this year we are celebrating with colleagues who are now among my best buddies. My friend, Susan, is providing the hospitality and good food and we are very happy to spend time with her and her very special family tomorrow. I am very thankful that I have like-minded pals to spend holidays with!

5. My home: As I type this, I am watching a TV news story in which they are describing how people who were hit by Hurricane Katrina are spending Thanksgiving. Many of them are in FEMA trailors, without a clear idea about where there home will eventually end up. I am grateful to have a warm place to call my own, with all the fun things a person could ask for: piles of books, satellite radio, a digital camera, a cable modem that allows me to do this very thing....and much more.

6. An imploding GOP - the gift that keeps on giving: It actually feels redundant to spend each evening after work commenting on the news of the day. Every day, another scandal. Every day, another lie being told. Every day, one day closer to the 2006 elections and *god willing* the Democrats take over the Congress. (*fingers crossed*)

7. A job I like: I am one of the fortunate few who like their job. Although someday soon I hope not to have to work in a large corporation, the company I work for isn't all that bad. My day is for the most part under my own control - I can work at home when I want to, I can take time off if necessary to deal with personal issues (like doctor appointments, etc.). AND, as I mentioned before, I work with some great women, with similar views on politics and life. The team I work closely with are great fun, smart, and take their work (but not themselves) seriously. Truth be told, I don't think I could get paid as much working somewhere else, so I truly must be thankful.

8. Technology (for the most part): I love that I can sit here and write whatever comes into my head and have it be read by people around the world. I love that I can tap away on my laptop computer and be interrupted by an instant message from a friend or family - without picking up the phone. (Come to think of it, the phone is a piece of technology I could truly do without.)

9. America: I know, I know, it's as trite as possibly can be, but I'm still grateful to be living in this country in spite of our current leadership. I just finished listening to the audio book "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin and in many ways it's amazing that we have even survived this far. If you have a chance to read this book, you should. It will show you how a self-confident president (Lincoln) can actually trust himself enough to put people with differing viewpoints in his administration, and demonstrate that it actually benefits the country.

9. Nothing for nine.

10. My husband: I'm very lucky to have a marriage that has lasted more than 25 years. My sweetie is also my biggest cheerleader - a man who wants me to be as successful and happy as I possibly can be. Lucky for me, he has no artifice - I trust him with all my heart, and yet, I believe there are things going on inside his head that I can't begin to understand. And I like that - a little mystery is a good thing, in my opinion. Gives me something to look forward to, and for that I'm truly grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, my sister. I love you very much. And thanks for sharing some very interesting reading over the last couple of months. You are one of the things that I am truely thankful for this Thanksgiving. Have a great day !!