Monday, January 24, 2005

A Miracle on Russell Avenue

This year, snow removal has become a team project for Bob and me. The weekend blizzard dropped about a foot and a half of snow, so we made plans to attack the snow in a couple of steps. First, I would go out and remove some snow from the back steps, then I'd clean off the cars, and then Bob would get the snow blower going for the major clean-up.

Well, I got out there and did the first part -- no problem. After clearing the steps, however, I came face-to-face with (not a blow hole) but a pile of snow nearly waist high. How the heck was I gonna clear the car that was on the other side of it? The only option I had was to dive in! After cleaning about half my car, knee-deep in snow, two pick-up trucks pulled up to the end of the driveway. A young man shouted "Need some help?" Of course, I did, but I was a little hesitant. So, I yelled back, "how much?"

The two young men in the cab of the truck put their heads together for a quick consultation. I'm thinking, "good lord, how much are they gonna hit me up for?" But they shouted back, almost as a question, "45?" "You gotta deal!" I responded. They didn't know that at this point, I would have paid $145 to get my cold legs out of the snow.

After quickly assessing the situation and pulling the plowed snow from the end of the driveway, they next unleashed four other young men from the second pick-up truck. Very efficiently, they dug out Bob's car, and pushed it out onto the street, with me at the wheel.

Meanwhile, Bob is standing in the house wondering what the heck is going on when he sees his car being moved and a swarm of young men working in the driveway. When I went in to get the checkbook, he hears the story and I could tell he was every bit as pleased as I was to have the guys take care of the situation. All he'll have to do is some minor clean-up and the front walk!

Within 20 minutes, something that would have probably taken us all afternoon to do was nearly finished. I am STILL amazed that the precise moment that we needed help, the answer came in the form of 6 young men who moved snow like it was feathers. For us, it was truly a miracle.

Now I have a business card and a team we can call next time a whoppa' of a storm comes along. Who knows? Could be next weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cath!

I loved the snow story. Almost brought a tear to my eye! Overall great content on your BLOG. I love it! Loveitloveitloveit! I'm so impressed that I have a friend with her own BLOG! Cathy for President!

Julie Batal

beckperson said...

I'm having a great time with this blog...much more fun that I ever thought it would be. Those of you who know me also know that I am never at a loss to give my opinion and now I have a place to do it! And, it makes a nice record of what's going on and it will be fun to look back and see what we were thinking at any given time.

I hope you all will also participate -- no need to be a perfect writer or particularly creative...just say hello, if nothing else. If not, this will be just for me...which is plenty, but I welcome everyone's contributions.