Sunday, July 24, 2005

Emmylou....and Elvis

Last night's fun included seeing Elvis Costello, with Emmylou Harris, in concert. I've never been a big Elvis fan, and paid my money primarily to see Emmylou - one of my all-time favorites.

The best part? The concert started on time, with Elvis and his band coming right on stage to kick things off. Rather than have Emmylou do her own set, she simply joined the band a few songs in and left several songs before the concert was over. Really nice, seamless way to handle a concert...you really feel like you get your money's worth...since they continued without intermission until 11 pm.

While the music had many highlights (including a lot of songs from his new cd) it ended with his Oscar-nominated song, "Scarlet Tide," which has special resonance with the current "action" in Iraq.

When I recall his parting words
Must I accept his fate
Or take myself far from this place
I thought I heard a black bell toll
A little bird did sing
Man has no choice
When he wants every thing

We'll rise above the scarlet tide
That trickles down through the mountain
And separates the widow from the bride

Man goes beyond his own decision
Gets caught up in the mechanism
Of swindlers who act like kings
And brokers who break everything
The dark of night was swiftly fading
Close to the dawn of day
Why would I want him just to lose him again

We'll rise above the scarlet tide
That trickles down through the mountain
And separates the widow from the bride



No comments: